Monday, November 5, 2007

Lunesta: Hair Loss Side Effects










I came across an interesting article on The Beacon News that talks about a drug used for sleeping disorders. The drug is called Lunesta. Below is the Q&A from the an individual using Lunesta.


October 21, 2007

Q: Recently, you advised a reader to try Lunesta for sleep problems. I, too, was prescribed Lunesta and took it for about a year. It worked very well. I got at least five hours of sound sleep and had no morning-after sluggishness. About four months into taking it, I noticed some hair loss but thought it must be fairly normal and forgot about it. Seven months into taking the drug, the hair loss seemed to be more frequent and heavier. I discussed it with my hairdresser, but we decided it was just a cycle and would calm down. At the 10-month mark, I began to lose much more hair with brushing and decided to see my internist. He was shocked to see the change in my hair and promptly referred me to a dermatologist here.

Upon reviewing my physician-prescribed medication, he announced vehemently that I must cease taking Lunesta. It seems he had been seeing several patients complaining of hair loss, and they were all taking Lunesta. I stopped taking Lunesta in November 2006, but it takes at least two months for it to leave your system. During that time, I lost a devastating amount of hair! I was even advised to purchase a wig in case I had any more hair loss because it would be noticeable immediately.

I just had a check-up with my dermatologist, and there are no signs of regrowth; my hairdresser concurs. On Lunesta, I lost at least one-third of my hair, and I didn't have thick hair before. It's truly frightening, since hair loss is not even mentioned as a side effect of Lunesta.

A: Your experience with Lunesta is convincing and provides new information of which I was unaware. I am publishing a shortened version of your letter as a public service.

To give you related information, I am sending you copies of my Health Reports "Consumer Tips on Medicine" and "Sleep/Wake Disorders." Other readers who would like copies should send a long, self-addressed, stamped envelope and $2 for each report to Newsletter, PO Box 167, Wickliffe, OH 44092. Be sure to mention the title.

For those of you interested in viewing the site click here.

If you've had similar results with Lunesta please share.

Regards

Will Cortes

www.endbalding.com

No comments: